Get the legal form you need right now

I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (United States)

This form is to apply for a permanent resident replacement card to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The form provided here is simply a sample of what the actual Form I-90 looks like.

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

START HERE - Please type or print in black ink.

Part 1. Information about you.

Family Name _______________________________

Given Name _______________________________

Middle Initial ___________

U.S. Mailing Address - C/O _______________________________

(Street Name and Number) _______________________________

Apt. # ___________

City _______________________________

State _______________________________

Zip Code _______________________________

Date of Birth (month/day/year) _______________________________

Country of Birth _______________________________

Social Security # _______________________________

A #_______________________________

Part 2. Application type.

1. My status is: (check one)

a. ____ Permanent Resident - (Not a Commuter)

b. ____ Permanent Resident - (Commuter)

c. ____ Conditional Permanent Resident

2. Reason for application: (check one)

I am a Permanent Resident or Conditional Permanent Resident and:

a. ____ My card was lost, stolen or destroyed.

b. ____ My authorized card was never received.

c. ____ My card is mutilated.

d. ____ My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error.

e. ____ My name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued.

I am a Permanent Resident and:

f. ____ My present card has an expiration date and it is expiring.

g. ____ I have reached my 14th birthday since my card was issued.

h.1. ____ I have taken up Commuter status.

h.2. ____ I was a Commuter and am now taking up residence in the U.S.

i. ____ My status has been automatically converted to permanent resident.

j. ____ I have an old edition of the card.

Part 3. Processing information.

Mother's First Name _______________________________

Father's First Name _______________________________

City of Residence where you applied for an Immigrant Visa or Adjustment of Status _______________________________

Consulate where Immigrant Visa was issued or USCIS office where status was Adjusted _______________________________

City/Town/Village of Birth _______________________________

Date of Admission as an immigrant or Adjustment of Status _______________________________

If you entered the U.S. with an Immigrant Visa, also complete the following:

Destination in U.S. at time of Admission _______________________________

Port of Entry where Admitted to U.S. _______________________________

Are you in removal/deportation or rescission proceedings? ____ No ____ Yes

Since you were granted permanent residence, have you ever filed Form I-407, Abandonment by Alien of Status as Lawful Permanent Resident, or otherwise been judged to have abandoned your status? ____ No ____ Yes

If you answer yes to any of the above questions, explain in detail on a separate piece of paper.

Part 4. Signature.
(Read the information on penalties in the instructions before completing this section. You must file this application while in the United States.)

I certify, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America, that this application and the evidence submitted with it is all true and correct. I authorize the release of any information from my records that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services needs to determine eligibility for the benefit I am seeking.

Signature _______________________________

Date _______________________________

Please Note: If you do not completely fill out this form or fail to submit required documents listed in the instructions, you cannot be found eligible for the requested document and this application may be denied.

Part 5. Signature of person preparing form, if other than above. (Sign below)

I declare that I prepared this application at the request of the above person and it is based on all information of which I have knowledge.

Signature _______________________________

Print Your Name _______________________________

Date _______________________________

Daytime Phone Number _______________________________

Name and Address of Business/Organization (if applicable) _______________________________



Returned ___________________

Resubmitted ___________________

Reloc Sent ___________________

Reloc Rec'd ___________________

Applicant Interviewed ___________________

Receipt ___________________

Status as ___________________

Verified by ___________________

Class ___________________

Initials ___________________

FD-258 forwarded on ___________________

I-89 forwarded on ___________________

I-551 seen and returned ___________________ (Initials)

Photocopy of I-551 verified ___________________ (Initials)

Name ___________________

Date ___________________

Sticker # (ten-digit number) ___________________

Action Block


To Be Completed by Attorney or Representative, if any

____ Fill in box if G-28 is attached to represent the applicant

VOLAG# ___________________

ATTY State License # ___________________


NOTE: You may file Form I-90 electronically. Go to our internet website at and follow the instructions on e-filing.

What Is the Purpose of This Form?

This form is for permanent residents and conditional residents to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for replacement of permanent resident cards. USCIS is comprised of offices of the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

NOTE: Do not use this Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. You must apply accordingly to remove the conditions:

• If you became a conditional resident through marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, submit Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence; or

• If you became a conditional resident based on a financial investment in a U.S. business, submit Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.

Who May File This Application?

If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident, file this application:

• To replace a lost, stolen or destroyed card; or

• To update a card after change of name or other biographic data; or

• To replace a card that is mutilated; or

• To replace a card that is incorrect on account of USCIS error; or

• To replace a card that was never received.

If you are a permanent resident, you must also file this application:

• To replace a card that is expiring; or

• Within 30 days of your 14th birthday, to replace a card issued before your 14th birthday; or

• If you have been a lawful permanent resident in the United States and are now taking up Commuter status while actually residing outside the United States; or

• If you have been in resident Commuter status and are now taking up actual residence in the United States; or

• If your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident; or

• When you have an older edition of the card and must replace it with the current type of card.

Where Should You File the Application?

You have the option of filing this paper form at the Los Angeles, California, Lockbox facility (see address below), or you may file it electronically by using the internet.

NOTE: If you are filing this application to replace a card that was never received or to replace a card that is incorrect on account of a USCIS error, you must mail your application to the service center or National Benefits Center that processed your previously filed Form I-90 application. Please refer to for special mailing instructions and the appropriate mailing address for each service center and the National Benefits Center.

To file electronically, visit our website at and follow the instructions on how to properly complete and submit the form.

NOTE: While many of our customers are eligible to e-file, there are restrictions for some applicants. Please check our website for a list of who is eligible to e-file this form.

If you choose to file this paper application, you must submit your application with the appropriate fees. If you are submitting this paper version of the form, you must include a check or money order with the application to pay the fees.

After filing your application, USCIS will inform you in writing when to go to your local USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics appointment.

NOTE: Do not include your initial evidence and supporting documents when submitting your application. You must submit all required initial evidence, including your prior permanent resident card or other evidence of identity, and any supporting documentation at the time of your in person appearance at your local ASC.

File this application with appropriate fees directly at the following Lockbox address:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 54870
Los Angeles, CA 90054-0870

Or, for non-U. S. Postal Service deliveries:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attention I-90
16420 Valley View Avenue
La Mirada, CA 90638

What Are the General Filing Instructions?

Please answer all questions by typing or clearly printing in black ink. If an answer is "none," write "none."

If you need extra space to answer any item, attach a separate sheet(s) of paper with your name and your Alien Registration Number (A#), and indicate the number of the item to which the answer refers.

Every application must be properly signed and accompanied by the appropriate fee. (See "What Is the Fee" on Page 2 of these Instructions.) A photocopy of a signed application is not acceptable.

If you are under 14 years of age, your parent or guardian may sign the application on your behalf.

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Copies. If these instructions state that a copy of a document must be filed with this application and you choose to send us the original, we may keep that original for our records. All copies must be clear and legible.

What Initial Evidence Is Required?

You must submit all required initial evidence as well as all supporting documentation at the time of your in person appearance at your local ASC. This includes:

Your Prior Card or Other Evidence of Identity

Renewing Expiring or Expired Card. If your card has already expired or will expire in the next six months, you will be required to submit your card at the time of your in person appearance at your local ASC.

Replacing Lost or Damaged Card. If your card has been lost, stolen, damaged or you never received it, bring a copy of your card, if you have one, to your in person appearance at your local ASC. If you do not have a copy and are at least 18 years old, you must bring an identity document, such as a driver's license, passport or a copy of another document containing your name, date of birth, photograph and signature to your in person appearance at your local ASC.

If you have been automatically converted to permanent residence status, you are considered to be replacing your card. In such case, you must bring your original temporary status document, with you at the time of your in person appearance at your local ASC.

Correction or Change in Biographic Data.

All supporting documentation must be submitted at the time of your in person appearance at your local ASC. If you are applying to replace a card because of a name change, you must bring the original court order or a certified copy of your marriage certificate reflecting the new name to your in person appearance at the ASC. To replace a card because of a change of any other biographic data, you must bring copies of documentation to prove that the new data is correct. A replacement application based on a USCIS administrative error must also include an explanation.

Biometrics Services.

Applicants will now have their photograph, fingerprints and signature taken by USCIS. You no longer need to submit photographs with the Form I-90. When you file your Form I-90, USCIS will notify you in writing of the time and location where you must go for the required biometrics services. Failure to appear for the biometrics services may result in a denial of your application.

NOTE: Because USCIS is now taking photographs of applicants, you no longer need to submit photos with your application.

What Is the Fee?

The fee for this application is $190.00.

The fee for biometrics services is $70.00.

You may submit one check or money order for both the application and biometrics fees, for a total of $260.00.

Exceptions. There are three exceptions to having to pay the $190.00 application filing fee:

If you are filing only because when your card was issued it was incorrect due to a USCIS administrative error.

If you are filing only because you never received your card.

If you are filing only to register at age 14 years, and your existing card will not expire before your 16th birthday.

NOTE: All applicants, regardless of age, except those filing to replace a card that was never received or to replace a card that is incorrect on account of a USCIS error, are required to submit the $70.00 biometrics services fee.

Fee Payment. If you are submitting this paper version of Form I-90, include a check or money order with your application.

Fees must be submitted in the exact amount. Fees cannot be refunded. Do not mail cash.

All checks and money orders must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in United States currency. The check or money order should be made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, unless:

If you reside in Guam, make your check or money order payable to the "Treasurer, Guam."

If you reside in the U.S. Virgin Islands, make your check or money order payable to the "Commissioner of Finance of the Virgin Islands."

Checks are accepted subject to collection. An uncollected check in payment of an application fee will render the application and any document issued invalid. A charge of $30.00 will be imposed if a check in payment of a fee is not honored by the bank on which it is drawn.

Notice to Applicants Making Payment by Check. If you send us a check, it will be converted into an electronic funds transfer (EFT). This means we will copy your check and use the account information on it to electronically debit your account for the amount of the check. The debit from your account will usually occur within 24 hours, and will be shown on your regular account statement. You will not receive your original check back. We will destroy your original check, but we will keep a copy of it. If the EFT cannot be processed for technical reason, you authorize us to process the copy in place of your original check. If the EFT cannot be completed because of insufficient funds, we may try to make the transfer up to two times.

How To Check If the Fee Is Correct.

The fee on this form is current as of the edition date appearing in the lower right hand corner of this page. However, because USCIS fees change periodically, you can verify if the fee is correct by following one of the steps below:

Visit our website at and scroll down to "Forms and E-Filing" to check the appropriate fee, or Review the Fee Schedule included in your form package, if you called us to request the form, or Telephone our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 and ask for the fee information.

What Is Evidence of Registration?

A pending application for a replacement permanent resident card is temporary evidence of registration.

What Is the Processing Information?

Acceptance. An application is not considered properly filed until it is accepted by USCIS.

Initial Processing. Once the application has been accepted, it will be checked for completeness. If you do not completely fill out the form, you will not establish a basis for eligibility and we may deny your application.

Requests for More Information or Interview. We may request more information or evidence or we may request that you appear at a USCIS office for an interview. We may also request that you provide the originals of any copies you submit. We will return these originals when they are no longer required.

Decision. If your application is approved, your Permanent Resident Card will be manufactured and mailed to you. If your application is denied, we will mail you a notice explaining why we made such decision.

What If You Change Your Address?

If you change your address after filing for a new card, you must fill out a Form AR-11, Alien's Change of Address Card. Enclose the AR-11 in an envelope and mail it to the USCIS address listed on that form.

NOTE: USCIS mail is not forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. It is returned to our mailing office as undeliverable. USCIS will destroy undeliverable cards if not claimed by the applicant within one year.

Do You Need Forms and Information?

To order USCIS forms, call our toll-free forms line at 1-800-870-3676. You can also order USCIS forms and obtain information on immigration laws, regulations and procedures by telephoning our National Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-375-5283 or visiting our internet website at

What Are the Penalties for Fraud?

If you knowingly and willfully falsify or conceal a material fact or submit a false document with this request, we will deny the benefit you are seeking and may deny any other immigration benefit. In addition, you will face severe penalties provided by law and may be subject to criminal prosecution.

Privacy Act Notice.

We ask for the information on this form and associated evidence to determine if you have established eligibility for the immigration benefit you are seeking. Our legal right to ask for this information is in 8 USC 1302 and 1304. We may provide this information to other government agencies. Failure to provide this information and any requested evidence may delay a final decision or result in denial of your request.

Paperwork Reduction Act Notice.

A person is not required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.

We try to create forms and instructions that are accurate, can be easily understood and that impose the least possible burden on you to provide us with information. Often this is difficult because some immigration laws are very complex.

The estimated average time to complete and submit this application is computed as follows: (1) 10 minutes to learn about the law and form; (2) 10 minutes to complete the form; and (3) 35 minutes to assemble and submit the application, including the required submission of this application; for a total estimated average of 55 minutes per application.

If you have comments regarding the accuracy of this estimate or suggestions for making this form simpler, you may write to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Regulatory Management Division, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20529; OMB No. 1516-0082.

NOTE: Do not mail your completed application to the Washington, D.C. address listed above. That office does not accept applications. Mail your application to the USCIS Lockbox facility listed on Page 1 of these Instructions.

Legal Forms Categories

Recently Added Forms

Library Of Legal Forms