Guide for Articles of Incorporation (Virginia)
This is a guide to articles of incorporation for a stock corporation in Virginia. The form provided here is simply a sample of what the actual Form SCC619 looks like.
COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
STATE CORPORATION COMMISSION
GUIDE FOR ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION
VIRGINIA STOCK CORPORATION
The undersigned, pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 13.1 of the Code of Virginia, state(s) as follows:
1. The name of the corporation is: ____________________________.
2. The number (and classes, if any) of shares the corporation is authorized to issue is (are):
Number of shares authorized ________________________________
3. A. The name of the corporation's initial registered agent is
B. The initial registered agent is (mark appropriate box):
(1) an individual who is a resident of Virginia and
[___] an initial director of the corporation
[___] a member of the Virginia State Bar
(2) [___] a professional corporation, professional limited liability company or registered limited liability partnership registered with the Virginia State Bar under § 54.1-3902 of the Code of Virginia.
4. A. The corporation's initial registered office address which is the business office of the initial registered agent, is:
(city or town), VA
________________________________ (ZIP code)
B. The registered office is physically located in the [___] City or [___] County of
5. The initial directors are:
Zip Code _______________________________
PRINTED NAME _______________________________
PRINTED NAME _______________________________
When preparing articles of incorporation, the information must be in the English language, typewritten or printed in black, legible and reproducible.
This form contains the minimum number of provisions required by Virginia law to be set forth in the articles of incorporation of a stock corporation. If additional provisions are desired, then the complete articles of incorporation, including the additional provisions, should be typewritten on white, opaque paper 8 1/2" by 11" in size, using only one side of a page. A minimum of a 1" margin must be provided on the left, top and bottom margins of a page and 1/2" at the right margin.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING OUT THIS FORM
1. Name: The corporate name must contain the word "corporation," "incorporated," "company" or "limited"; or the abbreviation "corp.," "inc.," "co." or "ltd." See § 13.1-630 of the Code of Virginia.
2. Shares: List the total number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue. If more than one class of shares is to be authorized, list the number of authorized shares of each class and a distinguishing designation for each class (e.g., common, preferred, etc.) and state the relative rights, limitations & preferences of each class. See §§ 13.1-619, 13.1-638 of the Code of Virginia.
3. Registered agent:
A. Provide the name of the registered agent, whose business address is the same as the corporation's registered office address. See §§ 13.1-619, 13.1-634 of the Code of Virginia.
B. Check one of the boxes to indicate the status of the registered agent. The qualifications of the initial registered agent are set forth on the front of this form - no other person or entity may serve as the registered agent.
4. Registered office:
A. Provide the complete post office address (which must include a street address, if any, or a rural route and box number in rural areas) of the corporation's registered office which is the same as the business address of the registered agent.
B. Provide the name of the city or county where the registered office is physically located. (Cities and counties in Virginia are separate local jurisdictions.) See §§ 13.1-619, 13.1-634 of the Code of Virginia.
5. Directors: If the registered agent's status in 3.B. is that of initial director, then the names and addresses of the initial directors must be included in the articles of incorporation. A corporation can have directors immediately upon formation only if they are named in the articles.
6. Incorporator(s): One or more persons must sign the articles of incorporation in this capacity. See § 13.1-604 of the Code of Virginia.
SEND THE ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION, ALONG WITH THE CHARTER AND FILING FEES, TO THE CLERK OF THE STATE CORPORATION COMMISSION, P. O. BOX 1197, RICHMOND, VA 23218-1197. (Street address: 1300 East Main Street, 1st floor, Richmond, VA 23219). IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, CALL (804) 371-9733.
Charter fee: 1,000,000 or fewer authorized shares - $50 for each 25,000 shares or fraction thereof; more than 1 million shares - $2,500. Filing fee: $25.
SEND BOTH FEES IN THE SAME CHECK, MADE PAYABLE TO THE STATE CORPORATION COMMISSION.